Resources for K-12 Educators
Please find below some resources for teaching about Islam and Muslim societies, especially at middle and high school level. This is far from an exhaustive list of resources. If you have any suggestions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) : Critical Coverage of the Middle East Since 1971
Jadaliyya : Ezine produced by the Arab Studies Institute
- Curriculum Resources
- The Nature of Islamic Art
- Art of the Islamic World: A New Resource for Teachers (2012)
Islamic Art Exhibit: Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Introduction to Islamic art: written by Linda Komaroff
Victoria and Albert Museum’s Jameel Prize Exhibition : for contemporary art and design inspired by Islamic tradition
Mapping the Global Muslim Population: Pew Research’s Religion and Public Life Project
Documentaries and Other Films
- Online Ayatollah (Al Jazeera)
- Divorce Iranian Style (Iran, 1998)
- Talking to the Taliban (interviews, 2008)
- The Lizard (Iran, 2004)
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist (US/Pakistan, 2012)
- Taxi to the Dark Side (US, 2007)
- A Separation (Iran, 2011)
- Norman Calder, J. A Mojaddedi, and Andrew Rippin. Classical Islam: A Sourcebook of Religious Literature. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Jamal J. Elias. Key Themes for the Study of Islam. Oxford: Oneworld, 2010.
- Aisha’s Cushion: Religious Art, Perception, and Practice In Islam. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2012.
- Jane Dammen McAuliffe, The Cambridge Companion to the Qurʼān. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- John Renard, Windows On the House of Islam: Muslim Sources On Spirituality and Religious Life. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1998.
- Roxanne Leslie Euben, and Muhammad Qasim Zaman, Princeton Readings In Islamist Thought: Texts and Contexts From Al-Banna to Bin Laden. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2009.
- Kurzman, Charles. Modernist Islam, 1840-1940: A Sourcebook. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Liberal Islam: A Source Book. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Lloyd Ridgeon, ed., Religion and Politics in Modern Iran. London and NY: I. B. Tauris, 2005.